VMware Cloud Community
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Best way to delete a VM

What is the best way to remove a VM so it is deleted and not taking up disk space?

I am low on disk space in some of my VM's and do not have a lot of free space in the datastore, so I am decommissioning a VM and then wish to delete it so it frees up disk space in the data store I can then assign to existing VM's in need of it.

I am running Vsphere 4.0 and using the Vsphere server to manage the VM's.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scisco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Ashleymilne,

Take a look here Smiley Happy

VMWare Training 3-11 Delete Virtual Machine - YouTube

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter is installed and managing the host and VM's.

0 Kudos
ashleymilne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks very much, that was helpful and answered my question.

0 Kudos
Scisco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am glad I could be of assistance, would you please consider marking your question as answered; thank you Smiley Happy

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

• To remove a virtual machine or team name from the Favorites list, right-click the name and choose Remove from Favorites. This choice does not affect the virtual machine itself; all virtual machine and team files remain intact on the host computer file system.

• To delete a virtual machine from the host computer, right-click the name of the virtual machine in the Favorites list and select Delete from Disk; or, select the virtual machine and choose VM > Delete from disk.
0 Kudos