VMware Cloud Community
IFEHalden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best-practises for hardware virtualization?

Hardware-virtualization is disabled by default when I create new VMs in my VMware-clusters. But what are the best-practises for this, what settings are recommended? Are there any reasons to NOT enable hardware-virtualization?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO there's no benefit in enabling hardware-virtualization if you don't need it for the VM (e.g. a virtual ESXi host).

André

View solution in original post

6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO there's no benefit in enabling hardware-virtualization if you don't need it for the VM (e.g. a virtual ESXi host).

André

manmohanbisht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Best Practice is to keep it off reasons could be what HP advices.

1. A security proof of concept (blue pill) may allow a guest to attack his host using virtualisation instructions.

2. It also seems to have some impact on performances

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Manmohan Bisht

Vmware SME

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hardware-assisted virtualization is the default execution mode for most modern guests on modern hardware.  Or are you referring to the checkbox that says, "Expose hardware-assisted virtualization to the guest operating system"?

0 Kudos
IFEHalden
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, I am referring to the checkbox "Expose hardware-assisted virtualization to the guest operating system"

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think it is safe to check it. It might help guest-OS in some cases to know it is running in virtual environment. Moreover, even if you did not expose this to guest, there are still many ways how guest could find it is running on virtual-hw...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unless you are running a guest hypervisor that makes use of hardware-assisted virtualization (ESXi, Hyper-V, kvm, Xen, HAXM, Deep Defender, etc.), there is no advantage in checking this box.  Moreover, memory overheads are slightly higher with the box checked.

0 Kudos