VMware Cloud Community
OVMorat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best practice: VSphere on VM or physical server?

Hello,

I've been running ESXi Free for a year or so on a couple of hosts and have taken the plunge to buy Essentials Plus and Veams Backup.

I see that Vsphere Server can be installed on a VM, but is that a good idea if I want to take advantage of vMotion? I can't quite get my head round vMotion working if the host running the vSphere server VM has a problem.

thanks

Miles

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter as a VM will give you all of the benefits normally associated with virtualisation, portability etc, regardless of the licencing model, I personally alway use a VM for vCenter. I only mentioned Essentials Plus as it has the ability to run HA (assuming you will be configuring it)

Regards,

Scott

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can run vCenter in VM, it is fully supported configuration.

You can vMotion vCenter VM, all will work fine.

---

MCSA, MCTS Hyper-V, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Also with Essentials Plus you will have the additional benefit of the vCenter server being protected by HA in the event of a host failure by having it as a VM rather than a physical server.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

I hope this helps
OVMorat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So really I should prefer a VM over a physical server for vsphere in essentials plus? This virtualisation stuff is twisting my head Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ScottBentley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vCenter as a VM will give you all of the benefits normally associated with virtualisation, portability etc, regardless of the licencing model, I personally alway use a VM for vCenter. I only mentioned Essentials Plus as it has the ability to run HA (assuming you will be configuring it)

Regards,

Scott

I hope this helps
0 Kudos