VMware Cloud Community
funmansk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Best Stripe Size for Virtual machines

Hi ,

I am deploying ESXI on my HP Gen 9 DL360P server, with RAID 1 for OS (ESXI) and RAID 6 for Data Store. While creating RAID I came up the screen where we can customize the Stripe Size/ Full Stripe Size , Sectors / Track , Size etc. I would like to know if there is any Vmware recommended best practice for selecting these ?

At present I just use the default which HP comes with.

Please help

RAID_13.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm affraid there is nothing like "best strip size" for VM-datastore. It all depends on usage scenario (many small files, or less big files? read/write ratio?, etc.). There are though some other values you should consider:

- disk sector-size: 512B, 4kB (can be variable for sas-drives)

- primary filesystem block size: for vmfs5 it is 1MB (with sub-block 8kB)

- secondary filesystem block size (that of VMs): depends on filesystem used (i.e. btrfs has default blocksize 16kB, ntfs 4kB, etc.)

- ssd erase-block size: this differs with vendors, mostly 4MB, but I have seen values between 1MB  and 8MB

- cache-size of your raid-controller (can be anything between zero and a few GB)

If you do not have time for testing, just pick default value raid-controller offers. If that is what screenshot shows, I think it is quite good default choice and it makes sense to me (full strip-size equals to vmfs5 block-size, 1MB). It does not make sense to go under this value, but I would increase it if you store dominantly large files...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of a recommendation by VMware. It's actually the RAID controller vendor who knows what's best for his hardware. I deployed a bunch of DL380 Gen9 hosts this week and left all settings at their default values (as I did in the past with other models).

>>> ... with RAID 1 for OS (ESXI) and RAID 6 for Data Store ....

Although you can do this, there's absolutely no need for this. The installation will format the drive/logical volume as required. ESXi - once loaded - runs in the host's memory, so that even if installed on a USB/SD device (e.g. a MicroSD card in the Gen9 models) there's no performance impact. It may just require a few more seconds for booting.

André

CoolRam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMware didn't have the recommendation for Strip size related to create the RAID size.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm affraid there is nothing like "best strip size" for VM-datastore. It all depends on usage scenario (many small files, or less big files? read/write ratio?, etc.). There are though some other values you should consider:

- disk sector-size: 512B, 4kB (can be variable for sas-drives)

- primary filesystem block size: for vmfs5 it is 1MB (with sub-block 8kB)

- secondary filesystem block size (that of VMs): depends on filesystem used (i.e. btrfs has default blocksize 16kB, ntfs 4kB, etc.)

- ssd erase-block size: this differs with vendors, mostly 4MB, but I have seen values between 1MB  and 8MB

- cache-size of your raid-controller (can be anything between zero and a few GB)

If you do not have time for testing, just pick default value raid-controller offers. If that is what screenshot shows, I think it is quite good default choice and it makes sense to me (full strip-size equals to vmfs5 block-size, 1MB). It does not make sense to go under this value, but I would increase it if you store dominantly large files...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
funmansk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you JarryG.

0 Kudos