VMware Cloud Community
stratolynne
Contributor
Contributor

Best Practice for datastore folder and file names?

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. Some of the VMs have been cloned (with a new name of VMnameV2), then renamed at a later date back to VMname. However, the naming convention of the clone stays withe datastore folder and file names. Can someone advise on whether its "ok" to leave as is or to clone again and get the datastore folder and file names to match the VM name? In some cases the names aren't even that close to the original name. One admin here thinks its ok and to just check in the Edit Settings of the VM and not rely on the naming in the datastore. I'm concerned that with a name so far off someone might mistake it for something else in the datastore.

Appreciating any comments.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

I personally like to have them match, and will use Storage vMotion or cold migrates to clean them up. It might depend on how many cooks you have in the kitchen, and the ability of those staff to understand this. Technically speaking, it is "ok" to leave them named as is, but operationally I prefer to have them match up.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

It's good practice to keep these tidy. You can use RVTools to help you find mismatched folders. Under vHealth, it will show "Inconsistent Foldername! VMname = actualVMname Foldername = incorrectFolderName".

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
damiankarlson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with the previous two posters - the VM name in inventory should match the underlying folders & files, and use Storage vMotion to clean them up. Otherwise you could get yourself into some trouble down the road with troubleshooting VM's at the command line/SSH.

Twitter: @sixfootdad

Blog: damiankarlson.com

Twitter: @sixfootdad Blog: damiankarlson.com Podcast: professionalvmware.com/brownbags
0 Kudos