VMware Cloud Community
hmjones8
Contributor
Contributor

Best Network Configuration with Limited DataCenter Conditions for ESXi vSphere 4.1 environment with Dell R610?

Hi,

We're trying to get the best possible network configuration using 1U Dell R610 Servers with 4 x Embedded 1GbE Ports and a Dual Port 10GbE adapter. We will be using vSphere ESXi 4.1 environment and need redundancy for Service Console/Mgmt Port, vMotion, and Virtual Machine networks. We would like to separate the primary and secondary functions of these services between embedded and non-embedded adapters to eliminate single points of failure. I am not too familiar with vSphere 4.1 environment and the use of 10GbE ports to separate the functions. I'm including a diagram. Can you tell me if this will work and/or, suggest a better option please? As you can see, two of the 1GbE ports are not used. However, feel free to include them in your scenerio if you feel there is a better configuration. Also, any alternative VLAN configuration is welcome. We would like to stay as close to VMware recommended best practices. However, we have some data center limitations. For example: We only have enough power to supply one of the power supplies in our example. Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Heath.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would repost your diagram as simple jpeg image.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I can't see an issue with this configuration.

0 Kudos
hmjones8
Contributor
Contributor

I'm re-posting diagram as JPG.... thanks

0 Kudos
hmjones8
Contributor
Contributor

David, Thanks. I have reposted as JPG

0 Kudos
hmjones8
Contributor
Contributor

Josh, Thanks. (-:

0 Kudos
hmjones8
Contributor
Contributor

I guess my main question/concern is about the vSwitch/vDS and VLAN configuration for Primary and Secondary Mgmt and vMotion NICs. As you can see I've separated the Primary Mgmt/vMotion and Secondary Mgmt/vMotion ports between Embedded and non-Embedded NICs. Assuming I need to configure Primary/Secondary NICs with the same VLAN for failover purposes, can all of these 4 ports (Primary Mgmt, Primary vMotion, Secondary Mgmt, Secondary vMotion) be bound to one vDS? Without the need for configuration of the traditional vSwitch? My knowledge is mainly about VI3 ESX with 10 x 1GbE NICs. 2 x SC, 2 x vM, 6 VM Net. So using the 10GbE Adapter NICs with onboard 1GbE Ports over vDS is new to me. I hope this makes sense? From the JPG I posted what would you say is the best configuration for this scenerio?

Thanks again for all your assistance!

0 Kudos