VMware Cloud Community
nimaghajarieh
Contributor
Contributor

Best CPU and memory Allocation

Hi,

I am going to migrate my physical server (DC, File, exchange on one physical server!!) to a new DellPE T420 with 1 socket CPU and 6 cpu cores * 2,199 GHz + 32GB RAM. I have installed ESXI 5.5 on this new server and can have 2 VMs whith server 2012 standard.

First of all, i want to now how to devide these services between 2 VMs. I thought to have DC,AD and files on one VMS and exchange on anouther one.

anouther question is what is the best allocation for these two VMs(CPU and Memory)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Ideally you will want to match what the physical machines resource consumption - so if the source server is only using 2-4 GB of RAM you will only want to assign the 4 GB at most - wit CPU if the utilization is low say less than 10% I would only assign a wingle vcpu

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
virtual_goat11
Contributor
Contributor

Match to the physical specs of the box if you can. Storage is easily, you know exactly how much you use today so size accordingly +20/30%, with thin provisioning there's no reason to make it even larger.

As far as CPU/Memory goes keep in mind you can always resize and up the limits on the fly.. thats the beauty of virtualization.

0 Kudos