VMware Cloud Community
xkaliburx007
Contributor
Contributor

Basic managment on a new esx server help requested

Some real high level q's as I am familiar with VMWare Server but tryting out ESX. I have done the install and added the serial on a ESX4 server which has 2 nic's. The management is uses nic1 which is connected to a publc internet address (blocked behind a FW). Nic0 is plugged into our backend network (database, NFS server, etc.) Now my 1st thing was getting an VM moved over, I thought I could ssh / scp the files over, but it seems all of that is blocked, so that is q1.

q2: How do I setup that 2nd nic (or do I) when I setup my VM machines. In the VMServer, you setup the 2 nics, bridge them, etc. I am connected via vSphere Client, under hardware/networking but not sure do I need to goto add networking, create a new switch, etc. Seems like I am down the wrong road. I simply want to bridge the nic0 to the private 192 network, nic1 to the public. Then create a new server, add both nic's, ip's and be done.

So is that done via the vSphere Client?

Im sure more exciting q's will come, but that should at least get me started! Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
byoung111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to make sure that after installing ESX4 that you modify the sshd.conf file and change AllowRootAccess from No to Yes, then restart the sshd daemon. That should allow you to ssh/scp your VM to the ESX server.

If all you want to do is have you VM connected to a public and private network, you would need to do the following.

Create a second vSwitch and assign nic0 to it., Create your VM, add 2 vNics to it. Assign one NIC to your first vSwitch, and assign your second vNic to your second vSwitch. Power on the VM, assign IP's as needed.

xkaliburx007
Contributor
Contributor

Cool, step 2 should be simple. Step 1 is simple enough, the question is how to get to a shell.

I have a remote KVM and all I have is that yellow/black screen. I can <f2> and look at options, change IP, etc. but can't see any way to jump to a shell on that machine.

Thanks again....

0 Kudos
byoung111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you testing with ESX4 or 4i?

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert

In a new ESX4 install, you will have to permit logon for the root account

Go to your ESX server and enter F1

Logon with the root account password you used during installation.

enter: nano \etc\ssh\sshd_config and press enter

scroll down with the arrow key until you see PermitRootLogin and change the "no" to a "yes"

Crtl O to save the file and Crtl X to exit. Press F11 to return to startup screen on ESX

You should be able to logon now thru ssh now and do file transfers with scp

You say your ESX server has two nics. It better to have four nics at least.

Usually Nic0 is used for console connection and is on the same subnet as the network its connected to. You can team Nic1 and Nic2 on a virtual switch for your guest vms, Nic3 can be used for migration and such.

Can you send a screen shot of your networking configuration?

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
xkaliburx007
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure on the diff from ESX4 and 4i (I will do a little reading) but the console shows ESXi 4.0.0

I did press F1 and nothing happened (not sure if it's an 4i vs 4 thing), but attached is a screenshot. Note this is from my laptop (linux) so included is the KVM view of the console and a windows VM running vSphere.

Thanks

0 Kudos
byoung111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's a link to enable ssh for 4i. 4i is a stipped down version (and free) of 4. There is a lot more you can do with 4, but it does come at a price.

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert

Sorry my bad

It should be Alt-F1 to enter and Alt-F11 to exit. It should say it on the ESX server screen.

I will look at the screen shot in a few.

0 Kudos