VMware Cloud Community
RyanWatters
Contributor
Contributor

Backups and stripe sizing

We've recently purchased Veeam Backup and FastSCP for our backup solution. I've started creating backup jobs and getting things configured so that we'll have backups of our virtual machines, which is going to be a great burden lifted from my mind. I have a few VMs that I was trying to back up that gave me an error, however. The error reported "File ." After digging around, I found this post on the VMware forums which gives some good information: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/239319. Looks like we have a few different choices: edit the config file to change the location of the snapshots using the "workingDir=location" switch, move all of the disks in the VM to volumes with the same block size, or move the config file alone to a volume with the larger block size. I chose to move the config file alone to a volume with a larger block size, believing that having the smaller block size on the system drive would make a difference when it comes to using changed block tracking in my backups. This brought up some questions though, which I figured I'd bring up here.

1) What is the preferred method or best practice here?

2) Is having one drive on the smaller block size actually going to help with CBT?

0 Kudos
0 Replies