VMware Cloud Community
Jazsko
Contributor
Contributor

Backup solutions

Hi,

I’m looking to set up a backup solution for a datacenter. Today the datacenter consists of 2 ESXi hosts, and an Equallogic disk array. The disk array is configured with RAID 50.

I have one more additional server, with 5 TB local storage, running in RAID 5. This server could be used as a backup server. My idea was to install ESXi, add this server to existing vCenter, install VMware data recovery on local storage, and backup all the VM’s to that local storage. Now this server would be placed in another location. In case of fire, I thought I could run recovery on the server and bring back the most valuable VM’s online. Is this possible, and recommended?

Another solution is to install open filer on the server, and add it to the vCenter as iSCSI, than run backup to that iScsi, but the first solution gives me a possibility to recover the VM’s instantly, cause it will have the same network configuration as the other two.

Any recommendations?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

both are equally good provided the line is fast and stable. another way is that if you need high reactive failover, you might want to look into solution that does virtual to virtual replication such as veeam or quest backup.

Jazsko
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx for the reply,

At this moment Veeam is to expensive. We will probably go for Veeam at a later stage.

I thought as long as ESXi is in the vCenter, having the same configurations as the other 2 ESXi servers, i could run the backup to local storage. In case we lose everything in a fire, it would be fast to recover the VM's on the local storage and run them from there in the mean time. I'm I wrong?

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Veeam is a super product - it is wporth getting a trial version in and seeing whether you think it is actually worht the cost.

You have quite a small environment, so your costs will be limited.

If the hosts are just Lab, they were giving away free non-production licenses to VCPs a little while ago - not sure if this is still going?

alternatively, have a look at the ghettoVCB scripts?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .