VMware Cloud Community
b1izzard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Backup path to NFS server

I am trying to backup to an NFS server using the ghettoVCB.sh script, but am not sure what I need to put for the path. Here is the excerpt from the script:

1. directory that all VM backups should go (e.g. /vmfs/volumes/SAN_LUN1/mybackupdir)

VM_BACKUP_VOLUME=/vmfs/volumes/dlgCore-NFS-bigboi.VM-Backups/WILLIAM_BACKUPS

NFS Server 'ubuntu' is at 192.168.1.200 with a share named /files.

On the ESXi 4.0 server, the default datastore points to the local disk. Using vSphere client, I created a second datastore for NFS named Ubuntu and pointed it to the server successfully (192.168.1.200:/files).

What am I supposed to use for the VM_BACKUP_VOLUME path?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nirvy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VM_BACKUP_VOLUME=/vmfs/volumes/Ubuntu/...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nirvy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

VM_BACKUP_VOLUME=/vmfs/volumes/Ubuntu/...

0 Kudos
b1izzard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked. Only strange thing is that it backed up the Windows XP virtual machine in 11 seconds. It's 8GB!!!. How is that possible? Also, for the other one, Windows SBS 2003, it said 'snapshot found for SBS 2003, backup will not take place. If you don't know these off the top of your head, don't sweat it as I'm already marking the question as answered. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
nirvy
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I've not used GhettoVCB before, but from the GhettoVCB FAQ:

11Q: I have VMs that have snapshots. I want to back these things up but the script doesn’t let me do it. How do I fix that?

11A: VM snapshots are not meant to be kept for long durations.

When backing up a VM that contains a snapshot, you should ensure all

snapshots have been committed prior to running a backup. No exceptions

will be made…ever.

0 Kudos
b1izzard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I'll open a new topic on this if I can't figure it out.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ghettoVCB will not backup a VM that already has a snapshot. ghettoVCB must take a snapshot so that it can clone the disk file. Once it completes the clone it deletes the snapshots. You need to use Snaphot manager to Delete ALL to commit the existing snapshots before you run ghettoVCB,.

Your path should be VM_BACKUP_VOLUME=/vmfs/volumes/ubuntu/files. The path is also case sensitive so Ubuntu is different than ubuntu.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos