VMware Cloud Community
mordzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Backup of guests on 'free' esxi Veeam/Storage API

I have started a new job and the company is using esxi 5 on a free key (confirmed by vmware support) and is using a 3rd party managed backup that consists of a sever onsite running veeam. My first thought was that its not possible due to the storage API being locked on esxi when using the 'free' version. however i have watched the backup run through ok on the vsphere log viewer. I cant get access to the Veeam server to check.

Ive again spoken to Veeam and Vmware again who have confirmed my thoughts that it will not work on the 'free' version. however it appears to be working... how is this possible? have i missed something fundamental.

Im looking to replace the managed backup with our own but im 100% i need to licence esxi (and to a later version) to get my purchased veeam to work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The vStorage API is locked in the hypervisor-only license so a snapshot backup would not work, however Veeam has the ability to use SSH/SCP to backup (full copy) VMs.

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The vStorage API is locked in the hypervisor-only license so a snapshot backup would not work, however Veeam has the ability to use SSH/SCP to backup (full copy) VMs.

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct
0 Kudos
mordzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whats the limitations of this SSH/SCP backup? just that its always full and not a incremental? Does the VM have to be powered off to do this type of backup?

0 Kudos
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Veeam SCP (VeeamZIP) method does live backups but only full copies, it actually does a clone of a VM.

To use incremental backups you need the vStorage API

0 Kudos
mordzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. Thats clarified things for me.

Apparently they are then replicated off site every night (1.5tb) 20mbit leased line. the business runs 24/7. just doesn't sound practical or feasible to me.

0 Kudos
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thoughts about upgrading to the essentials plus bundle ?

Then you will get the vSphere Data Protection with App level restores, deduplication and vSphere Replication, alot of bang for the buck.

0 Kudos