VMware Cloud Community
Macinslaw
Contributor
Contributor

Backup - Is this the right place?

Running Backup Exec 12.5 on separate server, running an array on a separate server for D2D storage, Running These sh###y EMC server clusters with ESX version?? running Virtual Center 2.5 Build 147633.

Their guide speaks to backup exec, but is not all inclusive. I even shelled out thousands for the class and the backup was a mere gloss over. Even when I asked specific questions pertaining to it, I was brushed off being told that he doesn't know. The only thing I did walk away with was the perception that in addition to our VMWare server, and our vmware server that 2 other servers were needed: a proxy server and a VCB server.

Can someone help me sort this crap out please. We currently have 6 server running in VMWare and no backups of the VMWare server, I am running agents on those servers and running backups on the servers themselves, but to me this is a poor solution. I would much rather have backups of the virtual devices themselves and run a secondary backup only on data. Due to the difficulty I've had with just this one issue (as well as the poor service for the astronomical costs associated with the software and the service plan), I can definitely say that I am VERY sorry that I chose VMWare as a solution over Hypervisor. But now I'm stuck and have to make this work, so can anyone help me?

-Scott

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Staged backups with Veeam Backup over LAN -> disk -> DataProtector over FC -> Tape looks fine to me.

Especially since I have upgarded to vSphere and enabled changed block tracking on VMs.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
Macinslaw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I am assuming those are software you're recommending.

We are not buying more software. We have BE 12.5, on a very tight (space wise on the hard drive) Windows 2000 server with a SCSI connection to an LTO 3 8 tape robotic drive and an iSCSI connection to a 12 Tb array. The hardware and software we have is all I am able to use for this process. I have tried the VCB(?) agent to no avail, I am currently using the BE agent to do some backups, however we want to backup the vmdk files as well as the servers via the agent.

-Scott

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

VCB is a backup proxy - it provides you with the ability to mount the VM file structures in folders on a Windows Server. The VCB server can be a VM but performance will generally be better if it is a physical machine with a direct connection to your SAN and visibility to the shared LUNS.

The Virtual Machine Backup Guide has quite comprehensive instructions on setting this up. I wouldn't say it is simple but it is not terribly complex and you can certainly get both full VM backups of all VM Guests and File level LAN free backups (ie directly over the SAN and offloading from the Guest OS's) for

Windows Systems.

There's a nice short guide on the basic steps involved on the VMPros.nl web site that covers the main steps needed to get it working.

Once you are this far you can write your own scripts (using whatever scripting language you prefer and VCBmounter) to mount the relevant VM files and then just backup the data directly from the VCB server. This is going to be quite painful to manage but it is a cheap way of getting full VM\LAN free backups working.

If you want to use the BE 12.5 management interface and have it understand that it is backing up ESX Hosts\Virtual Infrastructure machines then you will have to buy the Backup Exec Agent for VMware Infrastructure. Yep it costs money but it will give you a proper management GUI for the VM's and their content that can handle all backup and restore tasks within a consistent UI.

</div>

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos