VMware Cloud Community
junkts
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Error after Hardware/ESXi Version Upgrade

Hi

I have some problems with the Backup of Windows Server VM's since i upgraded my Hardware. Before the Upgrade i used the VMware ESXi Version 5.5 U2 without any problem. Everything works fine, but after changing my Hardware to HP Microserver Gen8 with HP VMware Version 5.5 U3 installed i get some errors every 3-4 days.

I get some different errors, but the most errors are VSS errors. The first VM is a Domain Controller and the second VM is a SQL Server. The following errors comes after 3-4 days and persists until i reboot the server.

Domain Controller Error:
--------------------
Fehlercode: 253
Module: 83
Zeileninfo: c7610e0a857bedf4
Felder:
Nachricht: VMware-Fehler: 'Remote-Methodenaufruf ist fehlgeschlagen.'.

--------------------

Fehlercode: 32
Module: 0
Felder:
Nachricht: Erwarteter Task 'CreateSnapshot' fehlgeschlagen. Ursache: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine..
--------------------

and later this one:
--------------------

Fehlercode: 3003
Module: 538
Zeileninfo: 38b2393b56c5aa77
Felder:  StringAlertId : ntds vss writer disabled
Nachricht: Alarm 'Konvertierter Agent'

SQL Server Error:

--------------------
Fehlercode: 253
Module: 83
Felder:
Nachricht: VMware-Fehler: 'Remote-Methodenaufruf ist fehlgeschlagen.'.

--------------------

Fehlercode: 32
Module: 0
Felder:
Nachricht: Erwarteter Task 'CreateSnapshot' fehlgeschlagen. Ursache: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine..

--------------------
Fehlercode: 3003
Module: 538
Zeileninfo: 38b2393b56c5aa77
Felder:  StringAlertId : sql vss writer disabled
Nachricht: Alarm 'Konvertierter Agent'

I tried the following things:

1. VMware Tools reinstall (many times)
2. VMware ESXi Update to Version 5.5 U3a (HP Version)
3. Create Snapshot via vCenter without any problem.

I have check the status of the vss writers and noticed that some writers hat the state "Timeout".

Can you help me to solve this problem?

kind regards

Rico

Dich vu cloud hosting giá rẻ , Vps giá rẻ, tên miền giá rẻ, duoc xay dung chuyen nghiep theo tieu chuan mang den su hai long nhat cho nguoi su dung chinh vi vay de co mot dich vu hosting tot chung toi khuyen ban nen su dung dich vu co uy tin nhu tinohost de dam bao hosting luon chay on dinh va manh me.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricChigoz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I hope this helps:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Find this helpful? Please award points. Thank you !
0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

If possible, more background information before proceeding with troubleshooting would be nice.

For starters, let me know storage connected to ESXi, how it is connected (HBA, local host controller), backup solution in use, its version, how it is taking the backup(method in use), backup schedule.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Did you try to connect your Backup Server to the ESXi server after upgrade from version 5.5 u2 to 5.5 u3?

or even edit your backup job and add your VMs again to their related backup jobs... and try the backup operations once more after this changes ...

anyway you need to demonstrate more information or check log files about this problem

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The Veeam knowledgebase has an article that tells you how to check if the Windows VSS installation is working as expected.
Unfirtunately you did not report how you create your backups ....

Search google for "An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine." and add the product you use to the search.

0 Kudos