VMware Cloud Community
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Backing Up an ESXi 4.0 Virtual Using the VCenter Converter Standalone

I'm having a "moment" here since it's been a while since I've done this.

I have a Windows Server 2008 VM running on ESXI 4.1. I want to make a one-time backup of the virtual. It's a Terminal Server so I don't need daily backups, etc.

I have it in mind that I can do this with the VCenter Converter Standalone. I have downloaded and installed version 5 of that.

When I attempt to contact the virtual using "VMWare Infrastructure Virtual Machine" from the Converter drop down I get this:

Unable to contact the specified host 192.168.254.154. The host might not be available . . . or the management services on this host are not responding.

The IP is correct. Am I missing something here? Management Services? Do I need to put the VM Converter Client on this virtual server?

The goal is to get the .vmdk over to a local machine so it can be restored in the event of a failure.

Thank you very much.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to export as OVF you'll need to have the guest powered off, but you don't need to use Converter.

Also, in the future, if you use converter and a source of "VMware Infrastructure virtual machine", the VM needs to be powered off as well.

...and to get the OVF back into your inventory... File--Deploy OVF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

since the VM is powered off (I assume because to choose the source you chose using Converter, the guest has to be off), Highlight it and go to File--Export-Export OVF Template.

MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM wasn't powered off. I see it has to be to do an export.

So I don't need the Converter to make the .OFV template then, do I? I export from within the VMWare client. I use the Converter to restore an .OVF to a new ESXI Server, right?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to export as OVF you'll need to have the guest powered off, but you don't need to use Converter.

Also, in the future, if you use converter and a source of "VMware Infrastructure virtual machine", the VM needs to be powered off as well.

...and to get the OVF back into your inventory... File--Deploy OVF

0 Kudos
MikeGIllinois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much.

Mike Gallery

0 Kudos