VMware Cloud Community
BSiegfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Backing Up ESXi Config

I have a few clients that have only one host running 6.0 or higher. Before I patch ESXi or perform BIOS/firmware updates should I be backing up the ESXi config files? I guess I am confused on what I am exactly backing up. To restore the backup config, I have to first reinstall ESXi and bring it up to the same patch level before the crash and also configure the management network. If I'm doing all of this prior to a restore, what is the purpose of backing up the ESXi config files?

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Saves you having to restore all the standard vSwitches (if you're using those rather than distributed)

VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
T180985
Expert
Expert

If youre running hosts with standard switches then you could find they take a significant amount of time to reconfigure after a host dies. It doesnt take long to dump esxi onto a server and configure a management ip

check out this kb for how to backup

VMware Knowledge Base 

or you can use this function:

Function BackupHosts

{

$global:FilePath = Read-host " Enter located to save files"

foreach($esxcli in Get-VMHost){

Get-VMHostFirmware -VMHost $esxcli -BackupConfiguration -DestinationPath $global:FilePath}

}

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
BSiegfried
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. Other than vswitch, any other important configs that gets restored?

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

any other vmkernel info, general host config/advanced settings...

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums