VMware Cloud Community
adminatater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Backing Up ESXi Config. Files

Hi,

Is there a good method (if any) to backup the config files of a hypervisor automatically? Idealy what I'm looking for is a way to restore all the 'custom' changes I've made to a hypervisor in the case I have to rebuild one (disaster recovery).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can use the esxcfg-cfgbackup.pl Perl script to do it. Check out this post for more information on how to do it from the PowerCLI.

Note: YMMV since I haven't personally done this.

http://waynes-world-it.blogspot.com/2009/08/vmware-powercli-backup-esxi-40-firmware.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can use the esxcfg-cfgbackup.pl Perl script to do it. Check out this post for more information on how to do it from the PowerCLI.

Note: YMMV since I haven't personally done this.

http://waynes-world-it.blogspot.com/2009/08/vmware-powercli-backup-esxi-40-firmware.html

0 Kudos
adminatater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, don't suppose you know if this will also backup any Virtual Switches & port groups created?

0 Kudos
bshubinsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

From what I understand it does a basic backup of all of the host functions such as datastores, vSwitches, users, etc. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do VM settings and I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any advanced settings.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can also use Set-VMHostFirmware. When you take a system backup for ESXi it will backup configuration settings (the Configuration tab, users) but it will not backup any virtual machine data.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

adminatater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the great feedback you two. I'm only looking at backing up the hypervisor config. I'm using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 to handle the actual VMs.

0 Kudos