VMware Cloud Community
praveensr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BIOS reports that NUMA node 1 has no memory while installing VMVisor-4.1 on ASUS KGPE-D16

Hi,

I'm trying to install vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 4.1 on a newly built server and during the installation process I get the following error message:

The BIOS reports that NUMA node 1 has no memory. This problem is either caused by a bad BIOS or a very unbalanced distribution of memory modules.

Following are my Server Details

Mother Board - ASUS KGPE-D14 Socket 34

CPU - AMD Opteron 6128 , 2 GHz

Memory - Kingston 2X4 GB

Currently I'm using only one CPU and 8 GB Memory (4 GB each in two slots) and dont want to install another CPU or add extra memory for this NUMA issue. I have gone thru all the vmware articles regarding this issue and there is no luck so far. Please help me as how I can resolve this issue and get proceed further.

Thanks,

Praveen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Multibassvirus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which slots do you have the RAM installed in? If you are using one CPU I believe you need one stick in the first orange slot, skip the next orange slot, and install the second stick in the third orange slot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Multibassvirus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which slots do you have the RAM installed in? If you are using one CPU I believe you need one stick in the first orange slot, skip the next orange slot, and install the second stick in the third orange slot.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As written in the previous post, check DIMM population according with your motherboard specification.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
atester144
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To expand a bit on the 1st reply to this thread:

I had the same problem with a Supermicro AS-1012G-MTF/H8SGL-F with an 8 core Opteron, and 2 x 4 GB of memory.

I was confused at first by the "node 1" indication, but then understood that this processor has 2 nodes, each with 4 cores, all in 1 socket.

The original configuration of memory I had were slots 1A and 2A, as per the manual.

The configuration that finally worked were slots 1A and 3A.

I am guessing that slots 1A,1B,2A,2B are node 0 memory, and slots 3A,3B,4A,4B are node 1 memory?

Anyway, if you are using a processor like the Opteron, with 2 NUMA nodes, it might be worth trying some different memory configurations, even if not in the manual.

Also, I would not have seen this problem if I have had 4 DIMM in slots IA,2A,3A,4A, which is what I plan to go to.

Hope this helps.

praveensr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everybody.

0 Kudos