VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Available Network Adapters for Windows guests

We are at the latest vSphere builds for Host and vCenter. We are rebuilding our Windows templates. I wanted to get a better idea on which of the available network adapters to use (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1001805). Our old templates were set to flexible.

These templates will be for all flavors of Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 (32-bit, 64-bit, R2, etc.)

I'm trying to decide if I should choose VMXNET2 or VMXNET3 for my templates. I don't want to choose one that proliferates and I regret it later or be required to chnage it.

(1) Any concerns going forward with either of these.

(2) Comparing the 2, what are the advantages of each (VMXNET2 and VMXNET3)

(3) Comparing the 2, what are potential drawbacks foreach (VMXNET2 and VMXNET3)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMXNET3 is the latest and greatest of the drivers. Better performance. The only drawback to VMXNET3 is that currently you cannot enable Fault Tolerance on a VM with this type of NIC.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMXNET3 is the latest and greatest of the drivers. Better performance. The only drawback to VMXNET3 is that currently you cannot enable Fault Tolerance on a VM with this type of NIC.

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That note about Fault Tolerance was exactly what I was looking for.

So as far as Windows OS support no really issues there? VMXNET3 can be used by all flavors of WIndows 2003 and Windows 2008?

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

correct. Windows 2000 only has e1000 available.