VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Automation solution for Free ESXi

What automation solutions are there for the free version of ESXi 5.x?  For example, you have a close-to-zero budget and want to automate the creation of VMs, checking for VMware tools, etc. using scripting or workflows.

PowerCLI traditionally has required vCenter Server - is this still the case?

Does vCLI work with free ESXi?

Has some third party created an open source automation solution that plugs into multiple free ESXi 5.x servers and uses the APIs to manage them without vCenter Server?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately the API of the free ESXi Hypervisor is restricted, so your options are very limited. Although you mentioned a small budget, you may consider to get an Essentials license to get rid of these restrictions.

André

TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Okay thanks- it seems though that if you could hit the APIs with the C-sharp vsphere client application and create a VM why wouldn't you be able to hit those same APIs from a third-party product - and why wouldn't someone have created a product that could do this?

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

There is a nice collection of scripts on virtuallyGhetto: vGhetto Script Repository

You can automatise a lot of things with them (i.e. I use ghettoVCB started by cron to auto-backup my VMs).

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Can I use these scripts to manage VMs on a free ESXi host?  Create a VM, check how much RAM a VM is configured with, how many vCPUs it has, power down a VM, power on a VM, etc?   What scripting language are they in?  Perl, vCLI, esxcli?

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Those I use work on free ESXi too. And when you click on the bottom link you see they are sorted out (perl, php, python, bash, etc).

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos