VMware Cloud Community
davejohnston83
Contributor
Contributor

Automatically Co-Locate VMs defined in a vApp OVF

Hi,

I have a vApp (ovf template) that defines 4 virtual machines.  I want to make sure two of the 4 machines are co-located on the same physical host due to communication that takes place between these two. (I don't care where the other 2 are placed).

Is it possible to add rules to a vApp, or in some other way, to make sure two machines are always grouped together?  At the moment I deploy my vApp, and then manually move the VMs in vCenter to the appropriate hosts.  The alternative is two define two vApps, once that consists of just the two machines that belong together, and then use the ovftool to deploy them to a specific host.

Any other ideas on how I could best achieve this ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Do you have DRS configured? If so, you can create a DRS rule to keep the VMs together on the same host.

davejohnston83
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Yes I do - its it possible to define DRS rules in a OVF, so that when I import the rules are applied?

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

No you can't define DRS rules in a OVF, DRS works at vCenter level and where as OVF is independent of vCenter.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos