VMware Cloud Community
adameros
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic restart of VMs.

Is there some way to have EXSi monitor the responsiveness of a VM, and reboot if it is unresponsive for set amount of time?

Ideally it would behave like the ARS feature in HP's ILo2.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not think ESXi natively has that granularity of monitoring - you would be able to have an alarm in vCenter to restart the VM based on performance of the VM and taking it one step further VMware HA allows for monitoring VMs -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

This is called VM HA Monitoring, and is included if you have an HA license.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
adameros
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I’m confused, but I thought HA was if the VMHost went down, the VM would be brought up on other VMHosts in the pool.

In this case, I have developers who wedge their individual VMs to the point we need to reboot them. I would like it so that if a VM is non-responsive for a set amount of time, EXSi will powercycle that one VM.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Additional functionality was supported with HA in 4 including monitoring individual VMs - particularly the VMware Tools hearbeat - so if there are issues with the hearbeat HA then can restart that individual VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos