VMware Cloud Community
rider111326
Contributor
Contributor

Automate the download of ESXi images ?

How do i automate the process of downloading latest ESXi image from the data source. is there any documentation provided. Please help me in this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
T180985
Expert
Expert

Are you looking to download an image from the VMware website or download an ISO from a datastore etc?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Isn't this a job for Update Manager?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
rider111326
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for the datastore where all the esxi images are sitting and I am searching for the API which will expose the endpoints download this images.

0 Kudos
rider111326
Contributor
Contributor

Are you exposing any set of apis for downlaoding the any version of ESXi image and metainfo about versions.

0 Kudos
jburen
Expert
Expert

I agree with scott28tt... Sounds like a job for VMware Update Manager. And with PowerCLI you can automate some tasks in VUM.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
serveradminist2
Contributor
Contributor

i am not getting understand what you saying, can you please correct me.

0 Kudos
rider111326
Contributor
Contributor

I want to get the access to the datastore of VMWare where ESXi images are stting.

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

I believe you can do this using PowerCLI, the following guide explains the process

VMware Knowledge Base

Create a script to download the files you want, if you want it to occur regularly then you can use a scheduled task

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
serveradminist2
Contributor
Contributor

Brows the data store from data store TAB in esxi, this is the location where ISO image store.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please don't create new threads asking the same question - I've locked the other one that you posted.

Are you trying to keep copies of lots of different versions of ESXi? If so, why do that, and why not use Update Manager as a number of people have suggested?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
rider111326
Contributor
Contributor

We need the on demanding ESXi provisioning with the choice of the version on bare metal nodes. How can i do this without keeping the versions. 

0 Kudos