VMware Cloud Community
arildgre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Auto Deploy and Host Profiles not applied after reboot

Just started to play around with Auto Deploy and Host Profiles, have everything working expect one thing.

The Host Profile is not applied after reboot, the profile is selected but not applied.

If I choose "Apply Profile" the server applies the profile, take it out of maintenance mode and it`s working like it should.

Shouldn’t this happen automatically after reboot? And what log files can I look in to troubleshoot this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes. You can attach a profile - even if the host is running VMs - to a host and you can have a look whether it is already compliant or not, before it is being put in maintenance mode and have the profile settings applied. You can even attach a profile to a cluster so you dont need to click through all the hosts. Smiley Wink

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is a normal behaviour that you need to apply the profile. Apply means, the configuration will be written to the host.
Reboot does not writes the config. Check the logs in vCenter and vpxa.log and hostd.log on the ESX side.

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
arildgre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okey Smiley Happy

So if I understand you correctly the host profile will be selected but you need to choose apply after reboot?

0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes. You can attach a profile - even if the host is running VMs - to a host and you can have a look whether it is already compliant or not, before it is being put in maintenance mode and have the profile settings applied. You can even attach a profile to a cluster so you dont need to click through all the hosts. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
arildgre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, this is taken care of with an deployment rule in Auto Deploy which put the servers in the cluster and attach the Host Profile.

So thank you, now I don’t need to spend any more time looking for why it’s not applied automatically, I just have to apply it.

Would be nice if this was done automatically the after an reboot if the answer file was complete, since the ESXi is running stateless. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

is there a way to apply the profile automatically? From this doc, it says the settings should be persistent on reboot

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.install.doc_50%2FGUID-8C2211...

0 Kudos