VMware Cloud Community
tnik
Contributor
Contributor

Attaching an external usb drive to Esxi 5.0

Hi everyone,

i have installed a new Esxi 5.0.0 (Build 469512) package in my DELL T300. Having finished with my installation i attached an external USB LAcie drive in order to copy my old virtual machines to the host. However i dont see anywhere the USB drive.

a. In my Configuration -> "StorageAdapter " section there isnt any USB drive even if i try to add a new adapter

b.  In my Configuration -> "Storage " section there is only one datastore and if i try to add another one it doesnt find any other device

c. I created a dummy virtual and added the usb controller and a usb device and it says that it is connected as a Lacie hard drive!

d. once i attach the exernal disk in my event i get a log message

"USB configuration has changed.info 11/11/2011 10:48:34 πμ localhost.localdomain in cluster localhost in ha.datacenter"

My goal is to be able to copy files from the usb disk and paste the to datastore in order to use the virtual disks (created from virtual player 4.0)

(By the way i found a knowledge base article called "Cannot mount a USB key or disk device media to an ESX/ESXi host" (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103634...) but i dont know how to use the CLI prompt. .Smiley Sad )

Any help or workaround is greatly appreciated.

regards,

themis

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JafizNazim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I can suggest you a simple method if you want to copy your vm files to esxi to run the existing VMs, you may use WinSCP software to upload the same from a Windows system or connect to esxi with vSphere Client and Go to DataStore and use upload to Datastore option.

Pls awards points incase if you think the suggestion was useful.

Rgds

Jafiz

tnik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jafiz,

I did something else because although i managed to upload the files to ESxi they werent compatible to Esxi vmachines. So i downloaded VM converter standalone and  i converted my machines. By default the destination was the datastore space so they were al last available to my server...

many thanks,

themis

0 Kudos