VMware Cloud Community
winstontj
Contributor
Contributor

Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter

Google tells me that there are issues with Atheros and VMware. I have not been able to find this device in any compatability guide or documentation.

It does not show up on any Host's list of Network Adapters however it does show up as being available for passthrough.

If I enable device passthrough it does not function properly (it works but not properly) on the guest VM.

I am trying to use this wireless adapter with a FreeBSD 8.1 guest OS (pfSense v. 2.0 RELEASE)

Device names:

Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter

+

TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)

on

82801 PCI Bridge

I guess the two questions are:

#1 - is there a driver with this or has anyone figured out a way for this device (Atheros AR5001X+) to work

#2 - if this is never going to work/not going to happen can someone please reccomend me a good (cheap) PCI wireless adapter? Must be PCI or I'd consider PCIX but can not be PCIe for this implimentation - will take PCIe suggestions though for future use.

Thanks,

TJW

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Wireless network devices are not supported with  ESXi5.

Passthrough are used for the USB devices and physical network adapters.I havent seen a supported wireless device for the VM or physical device running with ESXI

Award points for the helpful and correct answer by clicking the belwo tab Smiley Happy

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
winstontj
Contributor
Contributor

All I'm trying to do is pass through the wireless device (in a PCI slot) to a VM (guest) on ESXi 5 - I'm NOT trying to use the wireless NIC for the HV.

Does that make sense?

Could you share which devices you have seen passed through to a VM?

Thx.

0 Kudos