VMware Cloud Community
cyberteacher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Assigning static IP to the VM through vSphere client

My past experience with VMware goes back several years, so I am not up to date, yet. I have tried to locate the documentation on how to assigning static IP to the VM through vSphere client. I have few new VMs on the host. I have the MAC addresses, DNS server address, gateway, etc., and everything is in place. The VMs are not connected to the Management network. The question is how to assign the static IP.

Is there any reference on how to set it up step-by-step?

Thank you for taking time to reply!VM.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

static IP addresses for the host are assigned for VMkernel port groups, e.g. the Management Network, vMotion, iSCSI initiators, ...

For the VMs there's noting you need to assign on the ESXi host side. A VM's network configuration is done within the guest OS itself, as if it was installed on a physical hardware.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

static IP addresses for the host are assigned for VMkernel port groups, e.g. the Management Network, vMotion, iSCSI initiators, ...

For the VMs there's noting you need to assign on the ESXi host side. A VM's network configuration is done within the guest OS itself, as if it was installed on a physical hardware.

André

0 Kudos
cyberteacher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have created three VMs through the .OVA files (Linux-based).

They are not included into the Management network. I have the cluster, and few hosts. All three VMs are located on the same host.

I am not sure where to proceed, still.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The "Management Network" is not related to the virtual machines. It's in place for the ESXi host's management.

In order to use VMs you only need a "Virtual Machine Port Group" on a vSwitch with uplinks to a physical switch/router. The uplinks can be used by the VM Port Groups, and the Management Network, so there's no need for dedicated vSwitches.

André

0 Kudos
cyberteacher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your suggestions. I had the console but with the blank black screen. I had to restart the VM until I saw the prompt.

0 Kudos