VMware Cloud Community
krisssjsu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Assign an individual ethernet NIC to a VM

Hi all,

Wishing you a new year filled with joy and happiness.

I have just installed ESX 4.1.0 and vsphere 4.1.0.

I have a couple of extra NIC cards available in the ESX server. I would like to assign them to individual VM's.

I have configured the virtual switch as "vswitch0" and all the extra NIC cards show up on this switch. But i could not find a way to permanently assign a NIC card to a particular VM.

I have 3 NIC cards and i plan to have 3 VM's.

Can someone please guide me.

Thanks,

Krishna

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One option is to create 3 virtual machine port groups and assign each of the VM's to one of them. In the port group's configuration, set one NIC to "Active" and the other two to "Standby". This way each VM uses its dedicated NIC and - in case of a failure - fails over to one of the others.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

One option is to create 3 virtual machine port groups and assign each of the VM's to one of them. In the port group's configuration, set one NIC to "Active" and the other two to "Standby". This way each VM uses its dedicated NIC and - in case of a failure - fails over to one of the others.

André

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

André's is good if the 3 VMs are connected to the same network that can allow you to failover. if the 3 VM has uplink to different network then it would be creating portgroup per vmnic per virtual machine.

krisssjsu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Appreciate your help guys....

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No Problem!, and good luck with your virtualization journey.

0 Kudos