VMware Cloud Community
fish6288
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Assign a VM to a particular Host

Is there a way to assign certain VMs to always run on a particular ESX host even with DRS turned on?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

Right click on Cluster -> Edit Settings -> Virtual Machine Options -> select the VM you don't want DRS to move and from the drop down menu select Manual or Disabled.

Check the manual for the difference between Manual and Disabled.

fish6288
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the info. I thought that may be the setting i needed.

Another catch is that i dont want certain VMs to start on this box either and its in a Cluster with several other Hosts....is there a way to tell other VMs to NOT power on that particular HOST when powering on using DRS.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

Why do you want to do this? It is almost as if you don't want this particular host to be in the cluster.

Off hand I don't think there is a setting that does what you desire. Though I am interested in hearing your use case for one.

0 Kudos
chrisaug
Contributor
Contributor

Why do you want to do this? It is almost as if you don't want this particular host to be in the cluster.

Off hand I don't think there is a setting that does what you desire. Though I am interested in hearing your use case for one.That's kinda what it sounds like he wants to do. If you're trying to keep a host from being used so you have a free host to migrate to in the event of a host failing, you can change your HA options and specify a failover host. This will leave that host with no VMs on it and ready to kick in in the event of a host failure.

0 Kudos
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

Create network portgroup named "For VM1, 2 and 3 only" on ESXes you want particular VM run on, and connect these VMs to this portgroup.

So VMs can not migrate to servers with no such portgroup.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
chrisaug
Contributor
Contributor

The other option I just thought of is to set CPU anti affinity for the particular VMs. That should work for what you want.

0 Kudos