VMware Cloud Community
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor

Are you STILL trying to peddle the web client?

Version 6, overall pretty cool stuff.  Except for the web client.  You made substantial improvements to it, it's definitely faster.  And it's still crap.  Sorry, but it is.  I still work half as fast, the layout is still confusing and pointless, and it still has bugs.

Meanwhile, you've got a nearly rock solid desktop client... which you don't add the new features to.  There's only so long you can beat a dead horse.  This one's been beaten far longer than it should have.  Go back to what works please.

Literally the only reason to use the web client is the fact that you don't add new features to the desktop client.  And that makes me sad.

Smiley Sad

7 Replies
NiallSHatton
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. I feel the same. Having used the fat/C# client since around ESX 3.5 I still find myself hating on the web client. Its getting better, I think it IS the way to go but it needs a complete overhaul. New UI, better workflows, least clicks possible it all needs to be done and soon. Obviously when VMware make the web client based on HTML and not Flex it will make a massive difference to performance and speed but its not that I think is the real issue to address.

I would take a slow UI over one that felt more natural to use any day of the week.

Niall Hatton Virtualisation, Storage and Sysadmin Blog http://www.v-admin.co.uk
0 Kudos
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yup,I too feel the same difficulty in webclient.I would say C# client ROCKS!! :smileydevil:.I've notice few thing in the task manager lot of Java and Python exe are running in background.I think they have change the entire architecture of Web client.

Hope in future updates they fix this difficulties.Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
de2rfg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The fact that it is still not possibel to remediate hosts is the best prove that the web client is just a beta release and we are laboratory rats. It's the same with the vCSA. Hey, use our new cool appliance, you don't need Windows anymore. Ah, you want to use VUM, then install it on a Windows VM.

It's pointless.

0 Kudos
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to express my thanks to the VMware Web Client team, I just had one of the product managers contact me directly by PM for more details on my feedback.  It goes a long way towards reassuring your customers to reach out to them directly as you did.  While my feedback may not lead anywhere, knowing that there isn't a brick wall between you and I is a comfort.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert

Web-Client requires Flash. Not all environments support or even allow Flash to be used. Therefore Web-Client = Not Ready for Prime Time

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
mpogr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In v6.0 they have actually started REMOVING features that existed in previous versions from the C# client. For example, they removed the Hardware status view for ESXi hosts as well as Overall stats under Performance tab everywhere. Granted, they didn't work very well before (used to be notoriously slow), but now they're gone altogether...

jgudnason
Contributor
Contributor

I hadn't noticed they had started removing stuff in the 6.0 version.

if feels like i'm banging my head against a brick wall.

i came to the forum cause with 20 minutes of clicking around the web client, (and a couple display bugs during the process), i couldn't find some fields that are immediately in my face on the thick client.

As a vmware admin of many years, The feature set in vmware is improving, but they seem to feel a need to balance that with a user experience which is constantly rolling down the hill and into the ditch.

Every time i venture toward the web client i'm quickly back on the thick client to do my day-to-day work.

vmware, please get your head out of your ass.