VMware Cloud Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Are wildcard certs allowed on VCSA?

We want to replace the certificate on our VCSA version 6.7 with a wildcard cert we purchased from GoDaddy last year. The only cert we want to replace is the one that generates the annoying browser warning. Can we use a wildcard cert? I found a few articles on how to replace this cert but they never mention if a wildcard cert is OK

https://haveyoutriedreinstalling.com/2017/07/17/vsphere-6-x-certificates-just-because-you-can-doesnt...

https://thecloudxpert.net/2017/03/howto-replace-a-vmca-certificate-via-the-gui-in-vsphere-6-5-with-p...

How to Install a TLS Certificate on vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA) 6.7 · Pivotal Engineering Journa...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, wildcard certs are not supported with vSphere.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, wildcard certs are not supported with vSphere.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well, back to GoDaddy I go for another cert so we can get rid of the annoying web browser message

0 Kudos
chaplina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using a GoDaddy wildcard certificate with our VCSA 6.7.

There may be some services that do not support wildcard certs, but the web server works fine with it.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So you replaced the cert on the VCSA with a wildcard cert purchased from GoDaddy and the annoying web browser message when you first hit the web interface of the VCSA is gone?

0 Kudos
chaplina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct.

Logging in to Certificate Management via the HTML5 client shows the following using the GoDaddy wildcard cert:

__MACHINE_CERT

machine

vsphere-webclient

0 Kudos
ricardofsantos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you get the wildcard certificates working? I'm trying here but no success. Can you share the steps that you did?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Wildcard certificates are not officially supported in vSphere. If this is for a business/production environment, you should not use them.

0 Kudos
ricardofsantos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is not production, is a LAB setup. I have this wildcard certificate, so If possible I would like to use.

0 Kudos