VMware Cloud Community
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are there any thin clients (protocol) than connect to vSphere/vCenter like Fusion/Workstation do?

I'm running vSphere 6.7. VMs are a mix of Windows, Linux and FreeBSD so RDP just won't cut it. I don't have Horizon either, my datacenter is too small to need it--it barely needs vCenter anymore.

I use Fusion, sometimes Workstation, to connect to vCenter and to the VMs whatever host from that single point--is there a protocol/thin client that supports this?

I'd like to have some stationary thing that launches directly into vSphere without having to login to open an app to having to login again having that feeling that you're still layers deep in an app versus the experience of a thin client –for better or for worse– where you can't accidentally swipe your trackpad away to another desktop.

I took a look at Horizon, the discount for the Advance edition is very tempting but for non-business users it's still too expensive both in licensing and resources. I can't even gather the minimum 10 licensees to justify it. Smiley Sad Hopefully there's a hardware version of Fusion.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What are you actually trying to access, and for what purposes?

The ESXi host or vCenter Server for typical vSphere admin tasks, the VM guest OS consoles to carry out admin tasks with whatever OS and application tools are needed, or something else entirely?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I thought I had answered earlier and I turns out never sent it. :smileysilly:

Well, yup… that. Access to the consoles. I don't have any VM image automation or those advanced build-VM-in-the-moment needs.

Windows Server's Hyper-V has Remote Desktop Services and Virtual Machine Connection or something like that. It'd be nice that VMware offered a console access product that could also be its own thing, like thin clients for RDS. The vSphere Remote Console clients are not standalone systems or standalone-enough, like RDS, VMware's require a guest OS.

…not saying Hyper-V is a better hypervisor--gawd noo--it's just, it has a slightly more friendly console approach, when it works. Smiley Happy I just remembered VMware's clients can mount USB drives remotely and other devices. I'll shut up now before I contradict myself more.

Writing this though, it occurred to me that since I'm already running RDS RemoteApps and Sessions, I can just install Workstation Pro on a VM and access do the rest from there.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMRC?

Install the VMware Remote Console Application

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
srednausab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm trying to do the same thing, namely, get access to the consoles of my VMs from a (collocated) Thin Client or PC.

The issue with VMRC that I see is that you have to log into the ESXI webpage first before launching the VMRC app.

I'm thinking that it might be best to use a VNC solution, VNC servers on the VMs with a VNC client on the Thin Client/PC.

0 Kudos