VMware Cloud Community
adminatater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are These Products now vSphere?

I'm considering getting the Backup Exec 12.5 AVVI program for some ESX 4.0 servers, but I ran into something that has me scratching my head. The Symantecc software requires:

• VMware VirtualCenter 2.5 or later

• VMware VCB 1.1, 1.5 or later

It's my understanding that VCB and VirtualCenter are now vSphere is that correct?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

maybe this will explain it a bit

http://www.vmware.com/support/product_renaming.html

vSphere4 is a suite of products, which mainly consists of vCenter4, ESX(i)4 and the vSphere Client.

DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The overall product is vSphere but VCB agents and Virtual Center (now vCenter server) are still a part of the package.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Backup Exec is a 3rd party backup. VCB is a proxy. The way to communicate with ESX and vSphere suite is via the proxy.

This implies that Backup Exec can communicate with the latest versions of the VCB.

vSphere or not, they support ESX, so if you install the latest version of VCB (that is complatible with vSphere, ESX 3.5 or ESX 4.0) it should work. Testing will confirm this.

adminatater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting.. so now if you want to buy ESX you need to buy vSphere (with the appropriate # of CUPs)

0 Kudos
adminatater
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looking over the version of vSphere I have (VMware vSphere Standard) it includes:

• VMware ESXi and VMware ESX (deployment-time choice)2

• VMware vStorage VMFS

• Four-way virtual SMP

VMware vCenter Server Agent

• VMware vStorage APIs / VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB)

• VMware vCenter Update Manager

• VMware HA

• VMware vStorage Thin Provisioning

Looks like I have everything but vCenter Server & Converter, I'll have to check to see if vCenter Server Agent is enough for this 3rd party tool to work.

0 Kudos