VMware Cloud Community
lgardian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are Spanned VMFS Datastores 'safe' to use in a production environment?

I've asked this question before but I did not get a clear answer.

I have a need to present a 8TB LUN to the VM running Win 2008 R2. The LUN this big is required to host medical images for archiving by the software vendor. The storage is Fiber Channel connected Net App FAS2040A. Currently my options are to use extends or buy CIFS license.

So the questions I have, are there any problems/issues/concerns with multi-extend VMFS volumes?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Extents won't help in this case since the 2 TB limitation also applies to virtual disks. Even if you create an extended datastore, you would have to create multiple virtual disks and concatenate them to a software RAID 0 in Windows. I don't know the cost of the CIFS licenses and the impact on the disk space you need on the Netapp side, but to me that seems to be the safest way to achieve your goal.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Extents won't help in this case since the 2 TB limitation also applies to virtual disks. Even if you create an extended datastore, you would have to create multiple virtual disks and concatenate them to a software RAID 0 in Windows. I don't know the cost of the CIFS licenses and the impact on the disk space you need on the Netapp side, but to me that seems to be the safest way to achieve your goal.

André

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The use of extents are generally discouraged.  If you loose a LUN you don't have an idea of what data you would lose (if you're hosting many VMs on the datastore).

You'll still have the issue of getting that 8 TB into the VM.  Even with an 8 TB datastore, you'll still be limited to 2 TB virtual disk files.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As written you cannot have a single vmdk greater than 2TB.

Use a lot of vmdk could be a way (and "join" them together with dynamic disks or mount points).

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

How about presenting the 8TB from the NetApp to the VM via NFS?

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

piaroa wrote:

How about presenting the 8TB from the NetApp to the VM via NFS?

Sharing a share. The current NFS client is perhaps better than in the past but it has never been a screamer.

You seem so determined to have someone OK a less than ideal solution. ??

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
lgardian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm new to VM so this is a news to me. The 2TB VM VD kinda sucks. But oh well looks like I'll be begging for some cash to get the CIFS licence. The RAID 0 and dynamic disk are to risky for me, since is Windows based and we all know how good MS is Smiley Happy.

I wonder how people are presenting a big disks to VMs (bigger than 2TB) without using windows tools...hmm.

Thank you for your responses.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Handling large 2TB virtual disks is problematic. These are single files. They become dificult to manage, move, backup etc. Making it an 8TB glob is even worse. Managing this at the SAN level is far easier.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Marcj1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the image repository contains a folder structure instead of just a bunch of files you could use DFS within the guest to distribute the folders across multiple disks but have them appear as one giant disk.

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I must be missing something. I'm not trying to have anyone OK anything Smiley Wink

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
hairyfish
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the the challenge of presenting a 10TB volume to a server and the only way to do this (pre v5) was to create 5 x 2TB LUNs, format these as 2TB VMFS stores, then create 1.999TB disks (2TB is too big), then in the OS (Windows2008R2) span a volume across 5 disks using GPT.

This worked ok and haven't had any issues so far.

0 Kudos