VMware Cloud Community
XTREM1337
Contributor
Contributor

Applying ESX 4.1 Update 1

We have a cluster with 2 hosts ESX 4.1, vCenter 4

We want to install the ESX Update 1, release Feb 11 2011.

My question is, does I should to

• move (vMotion) my VM's, around 10,  from the server 1 to the server 2
  • after this turning on the maintenance mode on the server 1
  • running the patch via the console or putty
  • REBOOT the server 1 ???
  • exit the maintenance mode
  • move back my VM's to the server 1

And I will do the same procedure with the server 2

Or is it better if we using the Update Manager ? my main concern is the server reboot after the patching process.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DCjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1st option is better as you will have no downtime on the VMs. Thee might some resource contention if each hypervisor dont have the resources runn all VMs

Jay

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

Move your vm's and use Update Manager.  Remidiate only one host at a time.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I generally go with the exact appraoich that you have sepcified (though in times past have actually managed the deployment of the patch using VUM)

Vum should manage the full process, but I prefer to put hosts in maintenance mode myself after manually migarting VMs (just peace of mind I guess)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
XTREM1337
Contributor
Contributor

ok and what's the better way between using the VUM or running the update via the console?

Thanks

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I liked VUM, but I velieve it will be disappearing soon.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

yep VUM does the job nicelly.. assuming you have it working ok to begin with.. no proxy issues etc.

Main problem I seen with VUM is that if your DRS is not somewhat automated it will just sit there. Tend tto agree with you manually putting the server into maintenance mode is best.

By the way VUM dissapearing? What will it be replaced with? The whole idea of doing patches manually like it was done on ESX 2.x and early 3.0 is not nice 🙂

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aloha,

I went to the 4.1 Install, Configure and Manage class about 6 weeks ago. The instructor made the comment VUM would be changing in 5.x but not disappearing. He couldn't go into details, but reading into what he did say - it sounded like VUM would become more VMWare-centric ie no longer being a patch engine for Windows and apps.

Bill

0 Kudos