VMware Cloud Community
SATadsl
Contributor
Contributor

Apply high availability with Vmotion

Hello , 

I want to ask , Now I have two ESXI hosts and I can reach them using the public IP addresses 

I want to ask can I migrate a VM using Vomotion with the need of vCenter ?

I mean I need help do I have to install vCenter appliance and then apply the high availability and then use the vMotion ? 

Best Regards 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... and I can reach them using the public IP addresses
Really! I just hope they are at lease behind a firewall!

Anyway, vMotion requires to have vCenter Server in place. Please note that this requires proper licensing for vCenter Server as well as the ESXi hosts. Host with a free Hypervisor license cannot be managed by vCenter Server.

André

0 Kudos
SATadsl
Contributor
Contributor

I know that I have all the licenses I need but to be honest this is the first time that I'm going to use ESXI with Public IP address so I don't know what is going to happen when I'm trying to install vCenter !! 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Putting security aside, there's not much difference in installing vCenter Server with public IP addresses vs. private IP addresses. To install vCenter Server in a supported way, you need to have DNS records (Forward, and Reverse) in place prior to running the installation.

André

0 Kudos
SATadsl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for answer me 

But I need to ask to add the two ESXI hosts they have to have the same network right ?  

Because I have a public IP address for both and also a private IP for both so which better to use while install the Vcenter ? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> But I need to ask to add the two ESXI hosts they have to have the same network right ?
Not necessarily, the ESXi hosts just need to be accessible over the network.

>>> Because I have a public IP address for both and also a private IP for both so which better to use while install the Vcenter ?
From a security perspective, a private network should be preferred whenever possible.

André

0 Kudos
SATadsl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks here is my question if I  have an ESXI host with a public IP 30.10.50.112 so wat IP address should I give for the Vcenter itself 

I mean If I have it already I mean the ESXI host with this public IP address 30.10.50.112 but you know while installing the Vcenter it will ask me for an IP for the Vcenter itself so what should I do ? 

thanks 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not knowing your environment, all I can say is use a valid IP address that can access the ESXi hosts' management (by IP, or FQDN), and hostname that's registered in DNS (forward, and reverse lookup zone).

André

0 Kudos