VMware Cloud Community
Chickey
Contributor
Contributor

Application appears to run differently on Physical vs Virtual ??

Hi,

We have encountered a very strange issue with an application which runs on server 2008 R2.  We are receiving errors when a particular piece of SQL is executed on the VM box but this never happens in the Phyical server.

We have built the servers from scratch and tried our best to keep them as identical as possible with regards to software and the specs so same amount of ram processors etc.

Has anyone seen this before as it's got us stumped.  I've vmotioned it onto a server which has the same family of processors and tinkered with the reservations incase those were causing problems but i've ran out of things to tweak so wondered if anyone has seem this before ?

Many Thanks in Advance

Colin

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Can you describe in more detail what the particular piece of SQL is doing and what errors you are receiving?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

what kind of errors are you getting? sometimes the error might be due to the different patch (could be os or application) that is not available in virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Chickey
Contributor
Contributor

The SQL is trying to select values from a table. For some reason, the SQL gets constructed incorrectly. This leads to SQLException at the backend.

Example: SELECT A.AMOUNT AS "AMOUNT" , A.BASE_AMOUNT AS "BASE_AMOUNT" , A.ADJUSTMENT_ID AS "ADJUSTMENT_ID" , 1 FROM YTD_AMOUNT_ADJUSTMENT A WHERE A.PERSONNEL_ID = 33000000124 AND A.DEDUCTION_ID = 41800000003 AND A.ADDRESS_ID = 27100000032 AND A.DATE_OF_ADJUSTMENT >= TO_DATE('2011-01-01 00:00:00')'yyyy-mm-dd hh24:mi:ss')' AND A.DATE_OF_ADJUSTMENT < TO_DATE('2011-01-31 00:00:00', 'yyyy-mm-dd hh24:mi:ss')

in this case the TO_DATE function is incorrectly constructed.

Colin.

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From my past I would be assuming it might be a country/date setting (Windows of course) which might be different on the 2 hosts. Other then that I tend to believe that this must be not related to virtualisation but who knows Smiley Wink

0 Kudos