VMware Cloud Community
mudtoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyway to bypass requirement that snapshot directory have enough disk space for whole file?

Hi folks:

Is there anyway to bypass the requirement that the snapshot directory have enough free space on the datastore to hold all the files being snapshotted in their entirety?  This is getting kind of nuts.  I've cloaned a SBS VM that has a 400gb vmdk file with it.  I've turned on snapshots for everything, including that file because I want to be able to reset it to initial conditions after I've run some tests on migrating to a newer version of SBS.  There is no way I'm going to end up with a snapshot big enough to need 400gb of space, but the darn thing won't let me create a snapshot unless I point it to a datastore with at least 400gb of free space on it.  I know it's trying to protect me from myself, but in this case it's just getting in my way.  I could remove that file from the snapshot and just keep restoring it from a backup for each set of tests, but that's a pain too.

Suggestions welcome.

mudtoe

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

...but the darn thing won't let me create a snapshot unless I point it to a datastore with at least 400gb of free space on it.

Can you please post the exact error message you get!? The requirement to create a snapshot for a 400GB virtual disk is a datastore with at least a 2MB block size (and a minimum amount of free disk space). Is the VM configured to create the snapshots in the VM's base folder or did you configure a workingDir to place the snapshots on another datastore?

André

0 Kudos
mudtoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not in front of it right now, but let me check into the 2mb block size thing as soon as I get back.   That might be the reason, and I was just assuming that it was free space that it was complaining about, as the error message had a hex code in it; it didn't say specificially that I needed a certain amount of space.  I may have mistakenly figured that was the reason because the other datastores I tried to use didn't have 400gb of free space as opposed to not having at least a 2mb block size, but the one I where it did work had that much free, and must have necessarily had a block size of at least 2mb.

mudtoe 

0 Kudos