VMware Cloud Community
JayDeah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone successfully created an OSX VM in ESXi5?

so i have a vcenter installation with a single ESXi5 server in a cluster.

I can create a new VM and using the wizard select OSX 10.6 Server 64bit.

the map the DVD drive to the host, put in a copy of 10.6.3 (not a server DVD but then i dont think there is a specific server DVD for 1.6?)

if i try and power on the guest in vcenter it says darwin not supported. odd

if i power on the VM diretly on the ESXi host it powers on, boots from DVD and then after loading rh files shuts down with the following in the EVENT logged:

Warning message from [ESXi host]: The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server. This virtual machine will power off.

the only DVD media i have is 10.4.8 Server and 10.6.3 Retail

as far as i know i cannot go and buy a copy of 1.6 or 10.7 server on DVD!! the only way to do it is to get it installed then use the app store to upgrade!

also im not sure if this error is a genuine error that will still appear in retail ESXi5 (ie user error) or just a bug in the RC 5.0.0 384847

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using on the Dell would be a violation of the Apple EULA and discussions that violate anyone's EULA are not allowed in the forums.

The installer checks to see whether the hardware is Apple and will not install.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - One thing to keep in mind to be in compliance iwth EULA you will have to ESXi ruuning on a MAC server since OSX can only be run on MAC hardware per its EULA

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JayDeah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cheers, i understand that but as per my previous post the 4x Xserves we own are sitting idle in the rack as theyre not the 3.1 models! Smiley Sad

The host in this instance is a Dell poweredge 2950

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using on the Dell would be a violation of the Apple EULA and discussions that violate anyone's EULA are not allowed in the forums.

The installer checks to see whether the hardware is Apple and will not install.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
JayDeah
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

[quote]

The installer checks to see whether the hardware is Apple and will not install.[/quote]

is that the correct technical answer or is that an assumption?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is the correct technical answer.