VMware Cloud Community
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone having issues with VM network connectivity under ESXi 5.5?

I had something strange happen to a Ubuntu 13.10 VM running under ESXi 5.5 build 1331820.  I deleted a bunch of snapshots, powered off the VM, took another snapshot while it was down, and then started it back up.  When it came back up it had no network access even though the VM thought that the nics were up.  I have two virtual nics assigned to the VM, one on a virtual switch bridged to a physical adapter and the other on a virtual switch with no physical adapter that's just used for VM to VM communication.  The VM wasn't able to communicate on either of them.  I tried connecting and disconnecting the NICs, but that didn't work.  I also shutdown the VM again (powered off) and then started it again and still no connectivity on either one.  From inside the VM it looked strange in that if I did an ifconfig from a terminal window running in the console it showed small numbers of packets being both sent and received, even though it wasn't able to communicate on either nic.  Finally I rebooted the host and after that the VM came up and worked perfectly. 

I'm just wondering if there is a known bug, and if other people have had this happen. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
steveb05
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Double-check and make sure all your NICs across the environment are using unique MAC addresses. I've seen very similar issues when there are duplicate MAC addresses.

- Steve Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful. Steve Brill Virtualization Junkie VMware, SAN/NAS, Networking and Server Infrastructure Engineer
0 Kudos
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry for the delayed reply, but as far as I can tell, no duplicate MAC addresses.

0 Kudos