VMware Cloud Community
nesineal
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone Know If it's possible / how to Install ESX 4.0 on ESX 4.0 ?

I have ESX 4.0 installed on an Intel Box, I'd like to install ESX 4 within ESX. I found some things on the internet, talked about creating it as Red Had Enterprise 5 (64) bit. When I power it on (just to set the BIOS to boot from CD) , it compains about Intel not supporting 64 bit unless VT is enabled in BIOS.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
nesineal
Contributor
Contributor

Nevermind, I got it working, I found the VT setting in the Intel BIOS and enabled it, power cycled, then it works fine.

0 Kudos
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert

So does that mean you can isntall ESX4 into an ESX3 VM?

(Dont ask me why)

0 Kudos
nesineal
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't try ESX3,

I installed 2 ESX 4 VM's under ESX 4. But in order it run VM's under the ESX VM's, you have to add "monitor_control.restrict_backdoor / TRUE"

in your Advanced / General / Configuration Parameters in "edit settings"

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

guessing this is for learning now to use ESX?

0 Kudos
dconvery
Champion
Champion

I don't think it will work in ESX 3, but it will work in Workstation 6.5

Dave Convery

VMware vExpert 2009

Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Dave Convery, VCDX-DCV #20 ** http://www.tech-tap.com ** http://twitter.com/dconvery ** "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
0 Kudos
NCC1470
Contributor
Contributor

I am running the ESX 4 in a VM Workstation 6.0.0.

just add this to your .vmx-file (while not running VM Workstation -it will over write the nic settings):

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"

for Intel CPUs:

monitor_control.vt32 = "TRUE"

for AMD CPUs:

monitor_control.enable_svm = "TRUE"

Cheers!

Max

0 Kudos
Matt_B1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I successfully created a VM running ESX 4.0 on my physical ESX 4.0 host. I powered down the ESX VM and set these 2 settings in the VMX.

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"

monitor_control.enable_svm = "TRUE"

The physical host uses AMD Opterons. I also had to set "Promiscuous Mode" to Accept on the ESX VM virtual switch in order to allow a vmotion to happen. The vMotion of a VM from the physical host to the ESX VM host starts, runs fine and completes at 100%. However, the vMotioned VM shows VMware tools not responding and the VM just shuts off right after the vMotion completes. Has anyone seen this before? The VM being vmotioned is a Win 2k3 SE 32-bit VM w/ 1 vCPU and 512 MB RAM.

0 Kudos