VMware Cloud Community
akjonRooSho
Contributor
Contributor

Any way to create VM that will be identified as Physical Machine?

Some of my linux application are only licensed for physical servers. and there are no VM license available for those.

The only way I can use those application either installing on physical server or by creating a VM which will be identified as a Physical Server (can't be identified as VM).

Is there any way that I can create a VM and will be identified as a physical server?

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

That depends on the checks that the software  has implemented.

Some checks can be passed with

smbios.reflectHost = "true"

smbios.noOEMStrings = "true"

smbios.addHostVendor = "true"

in the vmx-file.

0 Kudos
akjonRooSho
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mate. Is there any particular location where those checks might be found?

Regards

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Many software vendors do not want that their software can be used inside a VM.

So they often implement checks that query the hardware - if they are lazy those checks can be cheated with vmx-parameters.

If they have done their homework they can verify that you are trying to run their software inside a VM and there is no chance to cheat ....

Google: how to check if running inside a VM

and you can look up the details.

0 Kudos
akjonRooSho
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot. I guess here is the same issue.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The parameters I mentioned could for example be "abused" to apply Windows OEM-licenses to VMs.
Not sure if that still works - I would expect that MS-engineers nowadays have closed those holes ....

0 Kudos
akjonRooSho
Contributor
Contributor

Actually I need that option for Linux. To be specific CentOS.

Let just say I want to create a Dell or HP brand PC in VM.

I've the BIOS Firmware, all the drivers needed, everything. Now can I create one?

Regards

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You should find instructions via google - please understand that this is a grey area and may violate the forum rules.

I also recommend not to post your solution here - in case you find one later -
When ever we discussed cheats like this they usually were disabled by the software vendors soon after the discussion.

0 Kudos