VMware Cloud Community
gbolo
Contributor
Contributor

Any successful directpath passthrough of Intel HD Graphics?

I have been unable to successfully pass-through my intel HD graphics to a VM, yet i have managed to do it with my pci-e raid cards and pci wireless card. What gives? When i add it to the VM, the VM boots but when it tries to initialize its new gpu, it freezes!

Specs:

CPU: Inetl Core i7-3770 w/ Intel HD Graphics 4000 ARK | Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)

MB: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4146#ov

I have tried using ESXi 5.0, ESXi 5.1, ESXi 5.5

I have tried multiple configurations of VMs:

- Win7 32-bit BIOS

- Win7 32-bit EFI

- Win7 64-bit BIOS

- WIn7 64-bit EFI

- Win8 64-bit BIOS

I am beginning to think that this is not possible, that is why I pose this question. Has anyone been able to pass-through their Intel HD Graphics successfully? Please tell me about it.

Much appreciated

0 Kudos
13 Replies
gbolo
Contributor
Contributor

nobody has attempted this?

0 Kudos
hupster
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to get this up and running on an Intel NUC with Core i5 4250U processor (HD Graphics 5000), so far without success. For me the adapter shows up just fine in device manager, the driver installs without errors, but no display is detected so nothing shows on the monitor. Also when I start the HD Graphics Control Panel, nothing happens. Still investigating that. I am using ESXi 5.5 with the patches released on 12/22/2013 and 03/11/2014.

A suggestion maybe for when your machine freezes during boot, try not installing the SVGA driver included with VMware Tools. That fixes the hang during boot for me.

0 Kudos
gbolo
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: For people with the same problem that stmble upon this thread

I have given up on trying to passthrough the HD Graphics, i have instead purchased the lowest power-concuption dedicated GPU i can find: Radeon HD6450 (passive cooled DDR3). With this new GPU i can finally passthrough graphics to my VM however i MUST have the following settings in BIOS:

- Disable onboard iGPU HD Graphics

- Disable onboard HD Audio

Working with: ESXi 5.5U1 build 1623387

Once the above two BIOS settings are disabled, i am was successful in passing through the Radeon HD6450 to a Winodws 8 64-bit test VM.

To get my oboard USB controller to work in passthrough mode, i had to create this VM with EFI instead of normal BIOS.

Current problem: When i increase the VM ram from 2GB to 4GB, the VM will fail to boot. EFI claims unsuccessful for any boot option.

For now i can live with the 2GB ram limitation, I will be seeing if Arch Linux or Ubuntu is able to do better.

0 Kudos
FalconIA
Contributor
Contributor

Add these lines to your vm config file.

pciHole.start = "1200"

pciHole.end = "2200"

The end value 2200 is for 1g video ram, u need to change it for your video card. 1700 for 512m; 3200 for 2g.

0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Setting It Up - Adding Graphics Card
Shut down the guest, edit the virtual machine and add a PCI Device, initially select only your graphics card and boot the VM. If the VM doesn't start then you may need to reduce the memory allocation, there is an issue I haven't yet quiet understood to do with memory reservations within ESXi.

Hopefully your guest will boot ignoring the new graphics card, the fun task no matter which OS is to get it to ignore the standard SVGA adapter VMware emulates. After the reboot in the following section you will need to continue using the mouse and keyboard through vSphere, just wiggle the mouse you'll get it.

Windows:

1. Install the ATI Catalyst drivers.
2. Reboot.
3. With luck on boot your screens might expand the desktop automatically, or they may stay blank.
4. Use the standard Windows screen management to extend your desktop to the new screens, optionally disable the SVGA interface.

Ubuntu:
1. Install the ATI drivers (fglrx) from the Proprietary Drivers screen under Preferences.
2. Run "aticonfig --initial" (this overwrites the Xorg config to use the ati card over the SVGA card).
3. Reboot.
4. Use the ATI tools to configure Xorg and your Window Manager as you wish.

0 Kudos
yecine06
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to do it also and didn't manage to get it to work

Anybody successul here  or do i have to buy a graphics card for this ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
trunolimit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Seriously have we made this happen? 

0 Kudos
trunolimit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so do we install the drivers regardless if the guest os sees the video output?

0 Kudos
Aarow123
Contributor
Contributor

The passthrough of Intel Graphics only works on ESXi 6.5. I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch non retina 2012 with an i5 processor and HD4000 GPU passthrough partially works. I tried to load up the ubuntu live image and when ubuntu boots, it shows on the screen on the MacBook and then after that the screen turns blank. Maybe I have to tinker with some more settings to get it to work. I tried using pciHole.start=1200 and pciHole.end=2200. Also I set the firmware option to EFI instead of the BIOS for the VM.

0 Kudos
vinnieb
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck with this? I've been trying with my skylake setup, it seems really close in esxi6.5... my Radeon HD card is currently passed through fine, so long as I disabled the integrated graphics in bios. If I enable this, I see the HD graphics appear in esx as capable of passthrough, but it breaks the Radeon pass. If i take out the radeon card (which I'd love to do to free up a slot), passthrough the intel HD graphics, the windows VM starts up, even installs the graphics drivers, but, I get no output via HDMI. Curiously, windows detects 4 outputs! But, none are picked up as the real HDMI.

I tried the same passing through to Ubuntu, with similar results, it seems to detect the graphics but I haven't spent time tuning trying to get a result.

From the best results I could find after searching, it seems like the current driver setup might not be aimed at really using the integrated graphics for output, but more to offload computation.

So wondered if anyone has got the full setup and graphics output working properly?

0 Kudos
parabag
Contributor
Contributor

I resume this discussion because the title seems very appropriate to what is happening to me.

i have ESXi 6.5u1 installed on a SuperMicro Superserver with Xeon quad core, 32GB of RAM and Intel iris pro graphics p580.

I mounted 2 VM, one with Windows 10 and the other with MAC OS High Sierra.

While I was able without any issue to passthrough the Intel P580 to the Windows VM, I am getting crazy to do it with MAC OS!!!!! I get the VM starting up and then the black screen with white apple stacked at 75% of progress...

Any one can give me some suggestion?

thx

0 Kudos
FUCKCHINA
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe can utilizing clover(install method like hackintosh) save log files,through log files observe,what problem happens during mac os boot .

0 Kudos
3JL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, any luck getting passthrough of Intel onboard graphics to work under MacOS?

My hardware situation: Fujitsy D3417 MB with Xeon E3-1245 v6 with onboard Intel HD Graphics P630

My software situation: ESXi 6.7 with PCI device passed through and working MacOS Mojave, but without graphics output :s Hardware information shows two graphics controllers of which one without details. Any clues what I can do to fix this?

Thanks, J

Screenshot 2019-01-21 at 22.39.10.pngScreenshot 2019-01-21 at 22.38.28.pngScreenshot 2019-01-21 at 22.37.58.png

0 Kudos