VMware Cloud Community
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any reason NOT to use ESXi 4.0?

I don't have vSphere Update Manager license, so I like 4.0 because of the GUI Host update utility.

In 4.1 it's all CLI and rather cumbersome (download all the zips, upload it to datastore, and do the patching).

Is there any reason NOT to use ESXi 4.0 anymore?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

There is no reason NOT to use ESXi 4.0

This will still be supported untill at least  2014-2016

Having said that, there are allot of performance benefits in version 4.1 and more so in vSphere 5

Upgrading form 4.0 to 4.1 using command line is really not that complicated and I would encourage you to do the effort in to going to at least ver 4.1

regards

Please award points if you find this helpful or correct Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

There is no reason NOT to use ESXi 4.0

This will still be supported untill at least  2014-2016

Having said that, there are allot of performance benefits in version 4.1 and more so in vSphere 5

Upgrading form 4.0 to 4.1 using command line is really not that complicated and I would encourage you to do the effort in to going to at least ver 4.1

regards

Please award points if you find this helpful or correct Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

My experience has always been the opposite! I've often found it simpler to use the CLI to upgrade hosts, uploading the file to a datastore, logging in and using the esxupdate command. I guess whatever you feel comfortable with though, everyone is different!

Like PduPreez says, there are performance benefits with each revision ahead of 4.0, but if your environment is stable and performing adequately, then there is no reason not to continue to use version 4.0

fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks guys for the experience.

Why I ask this is because I'm required to update my ESXi if there is any security patches. And in 4.1, there is no easy way to see which security patch is needed in a particular host.

2nd thing is in 4.1 I cannot do certain remote CLI anymore. 4.1 requires the paid version for that.

**P.S. I'll click the helpful/correct anwers later.

0 Kudos