VMware Cloud Community
AMD_4EVER
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any creative ways to keep users from always using the console?

Our organization tries to encourage people to use RDP to access servers but also provides console usage as a backup.  We want users to use the console as sparingly as possible.  Any suggestions on ways that would allow console usage but make it so users will choose RDP over the console?  Maybe by causing it to disconnect the user after a set period of time?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

My first reaction is of course sharks with laser beams on their heads but I can understand how this can cause logistical and budgetary issues. My second idea would be to only allow console access from a jumpbox that they had to RDP too. Then I assume the users would acquiesce to just RDP'ing to the box they wanted to administer anyway rather than make the double hop but give them the Console in case there was an emergency or clear need. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
joshopper
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

My first reaction is of course sharks with laser beams on their heads but I can understand how this can cause logistical and budgetary issues. My second idea would be to only allow console access from a jumpbox that they had to RDP too. Then I assume the users would acquiesce to just RDP'ing to the box they wanted to administer anyway rather than make the double hop but give them the Console in case there was an emergency or clear need. 

0 Kudos