VMware Cloud Community
WhiskyTangoFoxt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any advantage to secondary storage for snapshots when running VSAN in production?

Hi,

I have a question about production storage when running VSAN. Our servers are cached with eMLC SSDs that are supposed to support ten full writes a day for a few years. When I run major updates to VMs, I take a snapshot. When Veeam backup up the server to our storage NAS devices, it also creates temporary snapshots. Would it be bad practice to have snapshots stored on a separate datastore, such as a local drive array to each server. Currently we have 1 SSD caching 4x 600GB SAS drives per disk group, and two of these disk groups per server, for a total of 8 SSDs and 32 traditional disks across 4 server. My thought was to add 2x2TB near line SAS drives in a mirror per server for snapshots only.

Anyone doing this in ESXi 5.5 or 6? Is there any drawbacks to this other than write performance of the snapshots? I know that it can be done with the "snapshot.redoNotWithParent" but is there any reason not to? I'd like to save the SSD writes and the VSAN space if I can.

B

0 Kudos
0 Replies