VMware Cloud Community
mattstewartcsd
Contributor
Contributor

Anti-Virus Protection for VM's

Can anyone recommend a good AV solution for vSphere? Currently we use symantec to push out an AV client to all our servers, this works fine in a physical world, but thought there may be a better way to do it in a virtual environment.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to look into anti virus that uses VMsafe API to have it the virtual way. It would install a tollgate in the host level instead of the virtual machine level and the scanning will be done at the host level.

For more info, please refer to: http://www.vmware.com/technical-resources/security/vmsafe.html

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points.

0 Kudos
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

TrendMicro is the only vendor i know have a solution for vShield (aka vmsafe) however i had a discussion with Symantec expert in vmworld Copenhagen to discuss the impact of having agent in each VMs and the load it cause on the VI and he confirmed to me that, the new release (Q2 2011) will have different mechanism to suit the Virtual Environments.

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533
0 Kudos