VMware Cloud Community
krone6
Contributor
Contributor

Another "Host does not support passthrough configuration" question

I've googled about this problem but have had no luck in fixing it. Apparantly my chipset, bios, and cpu should support passthrough but the setting's not working. I have a DVR card that has to connect to a single VM. When I went to install the software it said, "no dvr card found." I've also enabled IOMMU in my bios and tried both disabled and 64MB mode. Anyone have any suggestions?

Specs:

M5A97 asus motherboard

Corsair 650TX PSU

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T

(If you need more details or more specs I'll get them for you)

0 Kudos
25 Replies
clarkwayne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Instead of FreeNAS, use OpenIndiana with Napp-IT. (OpenIndiana is the OS, and Napp-IT is the web interface). It will give you atleast 5 times better performance over NFS, and atleast 2x better performance over iSCSI.

Please post your results once you get your new motherboard, it could help someone else with their decision.

My Blog: http://vflent.com
0 Kudos
krone6
Contributor
Contributor

Did you mean to say ZFS instead of NFS?

0 Kudos
clarkwayne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I meant NFS as in the protocol. OpenIndiana also uses a newer version of ZFS as in the filesystem. With the newer version of ZFS you can use only 1 SSD ZIL cache instead of having 2 mirrored SSD's. In FreeNAS if you only have 1 SSD ZIL cache and there is a power outage, you lose data.

0 Kudos
krone6
Contributor
Contributor

I see. A lot of this is hard to take in thugh I'll go ahead and install openindanna on my flash drive to try out in a vm. If I like it, I'll go ahead and install onto my ssd that's sitting on my deskdoing nothing.

(And I assume I'll need to server version of openindanna if I'll use napp-it to manage it, so I'm starting with that.

Also, any ideas how to get back into my bios if it's saying "can not display this video mode?" I just have to downgrade the version again.

0 Kudos
clarkwayne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The server version is headless, so no GUI. To make it easier, download the desktop version of Open Indiana.

Any reason you're running a physical pfsense box and not a virtual one? Giving it 128 to 256mb or ram is more than sufficient if you run it virtually.

The display error usually occurs if there is a resolution mismath between the video card and monitor... you could try taking out the video card and putting it back in. Or take out the video card, reset the BIOS by the jumper method, and then put the video card back in.

0 Kudos
krone6
Contributor
Contributor

I wanted to isolate the network portion of my network with everything else, reason for it being on its own. It just happened to be with the spare parts I'm going to use it'll be overkill.

That, and if I ever have to take down my esxi server for something I then take my entire network down. I don't see why my network should have to suffer because something else had to be worked on. I'd rather keep them seperate.

0 Kudos