VMware Cloud Community
JJMR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

An internal error occurred in the vSphere Client. Details: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Hi everyone,

I have a number of active VMWare ESXi 5 hosts that I manage but beginning yesterday I am experiencing the error above.

On a new server, I have installed ESXi 5 successfully and I can connect to the host from my vSphere Client. However as soon as I try to create a new VM, the error message pops up. (Please see screenshot attached)

I subsequently tried connecting to my existing ESXi 5 hosts and experienced the same error when trying to perform the same operation.

Any advice on how to resolve this issue?? I've tried re-installing the client on my machine with no success. However I can perform all the same operations successfully from another spare machine I have on the network.

vSphere Client: Version 5.1.0 Build 786111

(I am in the process of downloading the newer version as we speak)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well there are two things you could do to further isolate:

1. On your account, try a clean boot and check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

2. Try re-creating your user profile and check Fix a corrupted user profile

Regards

a

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
nielse
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is hard to tell, you can probably best open up a VMware case and provide them with diagnostics logs.

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ESXi version seems to be a higher build as opposed to your vSphere Client. Did the new client download help?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
JJMR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks nielse, I was hoping that someone in the VMWare community could help. Googling this problem shows up a number of others having a similar problem but no solutions Smiley Sad

a_nut_in, no the new client did not help. The same client version build is on the other machine and I can work successfully from there. Strange problem. But as I use my laptop more often I desperately need it working probably on here. I have no idea how to even troubleshoot this issue. Is there anything, anything I can try?

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

On your laptop, what happens if you create a brand new test user and log in with that user account and check?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I assume your ESXi already has storage configured ?
If yes - can you create directories ?
Can you run "voma" against the VMFS-volume ?
Just enter "voma" - it should give you the syntax

0 Kudos
JJMR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It works perfectly with another user. But it's a temporary workaround at best and I'd like to get this working on my existing Windows user.

I used Revo Uninstaller to do full, clean uninstall (folders, files, registry, etc) of the client initially, hoping that any 'user' files that could perhaps be causing this problem, would also be removed. Pity that didn't work.

0 Kudos
JJMR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi continuum, yes storage has already been configured.

As I understand it, in simple terms, voma runs a check for inconsistencies on the VMFS datastore side. However my problem seems to be a client side issue...and at this stage only from my client. (Since it works from another machine)

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Kool.. So if it works with a new user, this is likely a profile issue. Are you logging in as domain user or local user? Also the test user you created, was that a domain or local user?

0 Kudos
JJMR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes it definitely seems that way. I'm logging on as a local user. The test user is also a local user.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well there are two things you could do to further isolate:

1. On your account, try a clean boot and check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

2. Try re-creating your user profile and check Fix a corrupted user profile

Regards

a

0 Kudos
JJMR
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys appreciate your assistance. Thought I'd report back here with the my results.

Unfortunately a clean boot did not do the trick. I had no choice but to create a new Windows user profile (and transfer all my settings/docs/etc) from my old profile to the new one. It's now working again as expected. It's a pity there is no official response from VMWare on this issue as there are quite a number of other posts describing the same problem.

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

Regards,
J

0 Kudos