VMware Cloud Community
nufael
Contributor
Contributor

An error occured while taking a snapshot

Hi,

This is my first post and Hello to the communities!

As stated in the title as above, I've an issue to run a backup using snapshot facilities. I'm running a 2 Nodes ORACLE RAC (one OS disk and 3 shared RAC disk for each VM). The OS disk is multi-writer disable and other 3 is multi-writer enable. Every time I run the backup job or taking a snapshot it will failed and affect the running VM (caused the VM to power off). I've read some article in VMware KB stated that if the VM is multi-writer enable then the snapshot function are unsupported.

My question is,

- I've 3 disk. One disk which is disk 0:0 is a system disk with multi-writer disable and the other disk is multi writer disable. Is it possible to do snapshot on the disable disk only? I'm running a Veeam Backup platform and Veeam has the functionality to exclude disk in the backup job.

Thanks

Regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mathanmailid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I`m not sure how Veeam works. But if you have an option to edit the backup job selection list.. choose the specific drives which has multi-write mode disabled.

0 Kudos
nufael
Contributor
Contributor

Did Vsphere/Vcenter by itself support snapshot on one disk disable multi-writer and the rest of the disk in the same VM multi-write enable? FYi, Veeam backup and replication has a features on excluding object which means the backup job are able to select on the specific disk in VM but the problem now is eventhough I'm excluding the multi-write disk and only backup the multi-writer disable disk the problem still persists. **Error: unable to create snapshot

0 Kudos